Supplemental Instruction Faculty Information
Faculty members with SI assigned to their courses are asked to :
- Allow the SI Leader to make weekly announcements in class regarding SI Sessions
- Send e-mails to students enrolled in the course to promote SI session attendance
- Post SI session schedules in classroom, on syllabus, and on Desire2Learn
- Provide copies of the course textbook and any supplemental materials required for the course
- Provide the SI Leader with course supplements and study materials in advance
- Meet with the SI Leader each week to review session materials and discuss class content
- Provide student data and test grades to the SI Office in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the SI Program
Faculty members are not responsible for training, supervising SI Leaders, or enforcing student participation, which is strictly voluntary. Faculty support is vital to the success of the program, and each faculty member is encouraged to promote SI sessions to students enrolled in the course. Faculty who support SI and endorse the program yield higher student attendance at SI sessions.
Commonly Asked Questions
- SI Leaders can provide feedback about difficult course content
- SI Leaders can help students prepare for class lectures
- Instructor evaluations improve when students are successful
- Instructors can request information and data to support research grants
- SI contributes to the retention, progression, and graduation of Georgia State students
Instructors are asked to promote and allow SI Leaders to use class time to:
- Introduce SI
- Promote SI
- Verbally announce times and locations of SI sessions, and
- Conduct SI Midterm Evaluations
SI sessions typically occur just before and right after each lecture. SI session times are usually offered three times a week. SI sessions are located in the same building or in close proximity to the class lecture in order to make attending SI sessions convenient for students.
To view the complete and current SI schedule of SI sessions, click here.