FLC 101: Why Participate in an FLC
Incoming students at Georgia State University are embarking on a new journey in an unfamiliar environment. Despite their past academic success, students are often unprepared to deal with the rigors and exigencies of college life, particularly during their first semester. So as to provide them with the support and resources they need in order to excel, Georgia State offers all incoming freshmen the opportunity to participate in a learning community and start off their academic career on the right path.
Freshmen who actively participate in an FLC tend to:
- Perform better academically and earn better grades
- Form friendships and study groups with fellow students early on
- Connect with faculty advisor and teachers in their FLC
- Transition more easily between high school and college life
- Know more about the vital resources and services offered by key offices
- Find an immediate sense of place within the university
- Get more out of their first semester
It is also worth noting that the benefits of FLCs extend past the first semester. Students who are engaged in their learning and in their FLCs have higher GPAs, keep the HOPE scholarship at a higher rate, and graduate in less time.
With a wide variety of academic fields to choose from, FLCs offer a unique opportunity for incoming freshmen to establish a solid foundation to insure their success at Georgia State.