This program is designed to help specifically invited students; it is not available to every student. Success Academy is designed to help invited students from all majors.
What is Success Academy?
- The Success Academy is your opportunity to get on campus early and start using the resources, meeting the people, taking the initiative and developing the skills to make the most of your college education.
- The Success Academy offers you the support and guidance while at the same time inspiring you to new and exciting levels of academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, and leadership development.
- GSU’s Success Academy is one of those opportunities that come only once. The individual guidance and coordinated support you will receive are unique to the program and can help ensure your early and ongoing college success.
Overview of the Program
Success Academy consists of programs, activities and services that work together–and with you to put you on the path to college success:
- Individualized study skills and learning-style assessments
- Academic skills workshops including time management, memory and concentration, how to read a textbook, how to talk to your professor
- Peer Mentoring
- Leadership development
- Introduction to key faculty and staff
- Individualized guidance and support from Financial Aid, Student Advisement Center, Scholarship Resource Center, and more
- Social and networking events including leadership retreat, and civic engagement opportunities
- Residential Living-Learning Community (optional)
- Develop strong study habits and academic skills
- Begin fulfilling degree requirements
- Increase your likelihood of attaining or maintaining the HOPE Scholarship eligibility
- Learn about a wealth of resources for support and guidance
- Make enduring friendships
To be considered for the Success Academy, you must meet the following requirements.
- Conditional acceptance to Georgia State University for summer 2012 (students should have received letter from the Office of Admissions)
- Completion of the Success Academy application [PDF]
- Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2011-2012
- Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2012-2013
- Signed Commitment Statement to participate for all three semesters
Success in college takes commitment and engagement–both in the classroom and out–so the Success Academy asks for your full participation in a range of specific programs and activities:
- On-campus hours during summer from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm (for non-residential students)
- GPA of at least 2.5 following summer 2012 (students who do not meet this requirement will be asked to register for less than 11 hours in the fall and spring semesters)
- Mandatory attendance at selected academic and co-curricular events throughout the year
- One overnight leadership retreat
- Commitment to enroll in designated Core Curriculum classes in summer 2012, fall 2012, and spring 2013 (all Core courses will count toward your major, regardless of major)