The Success Academy program is a three-semester extended learning community. This is your opportunity to get on campus early and start using the resources, meeting the people, taking the initiative and developing the skills to make the most of your college education. We offer you the support and guidance while at the same time inspiring you to new and exciting levels of academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, and leadership development.
Georgia State’s Success Academy is one of those opportunities that come only once. The individual guidance and coordinated support you will receive are unique to the program and can help ensure your early and ongoing college success.
Be Part of a Community to get You Ready For College
Success Academy consists of programs, activities and services that work together – and with you to put you on the path to college success:
- Individualized study skills and learning-style assessments
- Academic skills workshops including time management, memory and concentration, how to read a textbook, how to talk to your professor
- Peer Mentoring
- Leadership development
- Introduction to key faculty and staff
- Individualized guidance and support from Financial Aid, University Advisement Center, Scholarship Resource Center, and more
- Social and networking events including leadership retreat, and civic engagement opportunities
- Residential Living-Learning Community (optional)
- Develop strong study habits and academic skills
- Begin fulfilling degree requirements
- Increase your likelihood of attaining or maintaining the HOPE Scholarship eligibility
- Learn about a wealth of resources for support and guidance
- Make enduring friendships
How does it work?
- Deadline to Submit Intent to Enroll: Friday, May 1, 2020
- Check your admissions status check for Success Academy orientation dates
- First Day of Class: Monday, June 8, 2020
- Last Possible Day of Summer Term: Friday, July 30, 2020
- First Day of Class (fall): Monday, August 24, 2020
What are the costs?
- Students will be enrolled in 7 credit hours. In-state tuition and fees for the Summer Semester will amount to $2,883. Students may apply their financial aid awards toward the tuition and fees costs.
- Living on campus is highly recommended for this program, but not required. Students participating in the Success Academy will be housed in Piedmont North in a Shared Bedroom for $1,300.00.
- Students who chose to live on campus will be required to have a meal plan. The meal plan rate is $900.00, which provides 3 meals per day, all you can eat for seven weeks.
- Housing and meal plans can be covered by Financial Aid.
Once you have accepted the invitation to join the program and received your Campus ID, you can fill out the Georgia State Housing application.
Make sure to complete the “June-July 2020” contract. There is a $100.00 room reservation fee required immediately that will be applied to your overall cost for housing. Students participating in the Success Academy will be housed in Piedmont North in a Shared Bedroom for $1,300.00. You will need to indicate your participation in the Academy on the contract. Students who live in Housing will also be required to purchase a meal plan for $900.00, which provides 3 meals per day/all you can eat for seven weeks.
Please note that living on campus during the summer semester does not guarantee a bed for the fall semester. Students who wish to live on campus for fall and spring must complete a separate application on Housing’s website.
Do I have to live on campus?
While living on campus is not required, it is strongly recommended. Students who live on campus have a higher retention rate than those who reside off campus, make friends faster, learn about themselves and how to live with others, and become engaged with the university much faster. Every student participating in Success Academy should consider their own financial situation, however.
How do I accept the invitation?
After receiving the invitation from the Office of Admissions, students will need to complete the Intent to Enroll form in their admissions status check. To learn more about the program, it is recommended that students and parents/guests attend one of the receptions hosted by the Offices of Admissions and Undergraduate Studies.
I am a prospective student for Success Academy (Atlanta) or Perimeter Academy (Decatur, Clarkston, Dunwoody). Will Welcome Receptions still be held?
All on-campus welcome and information sessions for each group have been cancelled for the Spring 2020 semester. However, prior scheduled Success Academy Welcome Receptions are being moved to online platforms. Information about online Welcome Receptions will be emailed directly to students. However, if you have questions or need any additional support, please contact your program coordinator directly.
Will these programs still occur starting in the summer semester?
Georgia State University is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments and will continue to follow University on future term activities. We will continue to update our website and send email communication to prospective students. Please feel free to contact us with questions.
|Success Academy||Ashton Tomlinfirstname.lastname@example.org||404-413-2055|
|Perimeter Academy||Amanda Emeryemail@example.com||678-891-2566|